Skip to main content Skip to footer

Can I end a tenancy agreement after 6 months if I signed up for 12 months?

Asked on Oct 3 2011, Renting in Hyde | Report content

Answers (5)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • You could come to an agreement to end the contract with the landlord, but if he doesn't agree then he could take you to court. Not that it would be worth his while.

    Answered on Oct 4 2011, Report content
  • Is there a break clause in the contract? If there is then you may be able to give notice. What are the circumstances are you a landlord or a tenant?

    Answered on Oct 4 2011, Report content
  • If you have signed a 12 month tenancy agreement then the contract will be for a fixed time and not allow you to leave before the 12 months is up. Some contracts have a break clause written in allowing 1 month or 2 months notice to be given so read your contract carefully. Otherwise, you can approach you landlord/agent and try and reach an agreement with them to release you early.

    Answered on Oct 12 2011, Report content
  • You may have good reason to seek a move, like a job in another area. Why not help your landlord by finding a decent person to take on your tenancy commitment with their permission. The landlord does not want to tie you down if the rent gets paid by a good sub tenant who may do their own agreement eventually.

    Answered on Oct 19 2011, Report content
  • If you rented via an agent, you may be able to ask them to help you to find a tenant rather than "seeing through" the full contract - there is usually a charge, but it might be cheaper than an additional 6 months especially if you don't want to be there.

    Answered on Dec 22 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Hyde questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting