Skip to main content Skip to footer

Can I rent "professionals only" if my partner is a student?

Hi I am looking to rent an apartment with my partner and this is our first time renting. I have a full time job but my partner is currently a full time student and has a part time job. I have seen a property I am interested in but it says "professionals only", I am a professional but my partner is a student, will we be considered for a property like this? Thanks

Asked on Jan 4 2014, Renting in Salford | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi, We would suggest querying this with the estate agent the property is with, as long as you can provide proof that you are able to keep up to date with the rental payments we wouldn't have thought this would be a problem. The agent may however require a reference / guarantor for your partner who is a student. We hope this helps.

    Answered on Jan 6 2014, Report content
  • Hi Rebecca, There's nothing legally to say that you definitely cannot rent this type of property - it's merely the preference of the property owner or the agent. Sometimes just explaining your own situation can be enough to sway the agent in your favour. If one of you is working full time and the other part time, so long as you have enough income to cover the rent, as well as passing all of the other credit and reference checks, then there will be agents who are happy to overlook the professionals only restriction. At the same time, though, there are those for whom it will be a hard and fast rule and they will not entertain any other applications, so it just comes down to individual agents and talking to them to find out if they have any flexibility with regards to the issue. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Jan 20 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Salford questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting