Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

What is council tax band bracket

If I moved to Thorncombe Street, GU5 to a 3 bedroom cottage with 2 adults, 2 kids. What council tax bracket would I be in and how much would this cost? Would it fall under Waverley borough council?

Asked on Dec 2 2013, Renting in Guildford | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • There is a great website that will tell you the council tax for any property if you just plug in the postcode. Be aware that if you moved into a property, it immediately triggers the valuation office to come round and assess the property. This means the banding could change if the property has had any significant changes to it whilst the previous owner has been living there. For example, if they added a big extension, then the council tax could go up

    Web reference:

    Answered on Dec 18 2013, Report content
  • Hi jan, To check the council tax band for any property in the UK, you will need to take a look at the Valuations Office Agency (VOA) website. This is the department that deals with all valuations in England and Wales. A search on the site shows that there are a number of different council tax bands that cover that particular street - D, E, F and G. If you carry out the search on the site you should be able to see all of these, and if you know the address you are thinking about moving to then you will be able to see what the band will be. To answer your other question, the street does fall under the band for Waverley Borough Council, so once you know what tax band you are in, you should be able to get the price from the authority's website. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Jan 2 2014, Report content
  • Hi, For any queries in regards to council tax, we would advice that you speak to the local council for that area who will be able to provide you with details of what band the property is in and the costs for this. We would suggest when in contact with them that you state your full situation, such as if you are the sole occupant etc as in that instance you would be eligible for a 25% deduction. We hope this helps.

    Answered on Jan 3 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Guildford questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting