Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Renting from outside UK

I am an Italian who wants to relocate in Uk on a permanent stay. I previously lived in England for almost 7 years (between 1998-2003 and earlier in 1990-1992). I do have my National Insurance Number that I supposed is still valid. What Do I need to get a long-tenancy agreement?. I used to have a bank account that unfortunately I closed in 2005. In few words I would like to know how to rent a flat from Italy, without having an English bank account. Am I still eligible for a rental contract? Many thaks for your kind answer and best regards

Asked on Feb 8 2014, Renting in Hartlepool | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Hi vanessa, Your agreement with a landlord or a letting agent over rental matters is entirely private, and as you are free to live in the UK, there are no restrictions on your renting a property here legally, so you should be totally fine to do so. The only thing you might need to do is to offer additional assurance to your letting agent when applying for a property so that they are able to have peace of mind that you will be able to keep up with your rental payments while living here. The key things to provide will include the likes of proof of income. If you have a job lined up in the UK, showing the landlord this will mean that they are more likely to feel happy that you have the means to pay rent in the long term. If you don't have this, it might be a bit harder to rent, and they might look for other assurance such as a few months of payment in advance for your rent or a UK based guarantor. Other information you might want to include could include your rental history. As you said you lived here for seven years before, are you able to find former letting agents or landlords who you had agreements with and ask them to provide a reference. If someone can back you up to show that last time you were here you always paid rent on time, then it will stand you in much better stead in your bid to get a property in the UK. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Feb 21 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Hartlepool questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting