Skip to main content Skip to footer

Are there any landlords or agents in Helensburgh, Agryll and Bute who accept DSS?

I'm new to the area and am really struggling to find landlords or agents in Helensburgh who accept DSS can anyone help?

Asked on Sep 11 2010, Renting in Helensburgh | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi there. I guess my username gives it all away. I'm pretty sure you'll be applying for Housing Allowance under the same regime I've had to put up with for the past couple of years (I live in Argyll and Bute). It's an insane system that pays the money direct to tenants who are then supposed to pay it to their landlord. It's supposed to instill responsibility in the tenant to aid their transition to employment. Mostly it just causes huge problems and ensures that most sensible landlords won't touch Housing Allowance applicants with a bargepole. My current HA tenant will be my last. It also doesn't help that the Council pays a month in arrears and if there's even the slightest blip in the tenant's status for eg ESA or JSA, the Council take the opportunity to suspend HA as well with no consideration whatsoever for the problems that causes landlords. I have to say I am amazed there's a single private landlord out there who takes folks on HA. If you want to find a landlord to take you on, you have to find a way to ensure he won't be out of pocket under this crazy system. The ONLY way I can think of is to amass a huge deposit, equivalent to three months rent, for this is what is needed to stand a reasonable chance of not being left in financial do-do with a non-paying tenant. Even three months is conservative to be honest given the tortuously slow legal processes in Scotland. That is now the ONLY way i would consider taking on another person on HA. If you can muster that kind of a deposit, you may stand a chance. Sorry to be so negative. Good luck.

    Answered on Sep 11 2010, Report content
  • The best place to look for rental properties available (that accept housing benefit) is the benefit housing website. Otherwise contact the local council housing department, they should be able to advise you of any local landlords/agents that you can contact.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Sep 13 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question