Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

How can we get a new flat while between jobs?

My long distance partner who currently lives in another country has just been offered a job in Kent, 100 miles from where I live. The job offer is conditional on him getting a UK work permit but that will be easy now he has the job offer. It will take about a month to get the permit. I can't wait to get to Kent and start setting up our new life together. But I don't have a job lined up to go to and it's so far to travel for interviews that it will be best for me to just start looking when I get there. We have plenty in savings so even if it takes me a few months, we'll be fine for money. The problem is, how do we get a lease on a new apartment in Kent when we are both between jobs and my partner is abroad? Will they let us do it on the strength of his job offer, even though he's still waiting for the work permit to come? Can we sign based on our savings by paying 6-12 months up front? I thought about trying to secure a flat in Kent before leaving my current job, but my job would be so far from the flat that I'm sure any letting agent worth their salt would question it when I listed my employer on the application, and if I'd already handed in my resignation then probably that would come out when they contacted my employer for a reference, and then they'd reject the application and we'd lose both the flat and the fees we'd paid. I guess we might just have to move into a guest house temporarily, but I'd really like to have some semblance of a real home waiting for my partner when he arrives, and for us not have the stress of trying to get up to speed in a new job (him) and job hunt (me) while ALSO trying to find a permanent new home at the same time. Does anyone have any tips for navigating this sort of situation?

Asked on Nov 24 2017, Renting in Kent | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Hello - I think you should be ok, provided that you can provide proof of income/savings and you get through the credit checking process ok. You may also need to have a guarantor in place. I would suggest getting in touch with some local lettings agents to explain the situation. Then you can get things like viewings lined up for when you are ready to move. You wouldn't necessarily have to stay in a guest house - perhaps you could find serviced accommodation? Yes, it's slightly more expensive but the quality is usually better. Hopefully you can get things organised so you won't have to stay in such accommodation for long. Best of luck with the move.

    Answered on Nov 28 2017, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Kent questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting