Skip to main content Skip to footer

How to private rent when the guarantor is a home owner with a good credit rating but only earn £16000 a year?

My daughter wants to rent a property as she is expecting a baby, so will be DSS, she has the money for deposit and I'm willing to stand guarantor as I'm a homeowner and earn about £16000 a year but she has been told this is not enough. How is she supposed to rent ?

Asked on Apr 26 2012, Renting in Lee-on-the-Solent | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 3 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • I only have limited knowledge about this, but I think a guarantor needs to earn something like 3 times the yearly rent. So if your wage does not cover the rent, you would need to use an additional guarantor. I don't know what your daughter’s situation is, so I can only advise a trip to the citizen’s advice bureau for advice and/or shelter.

    Answered on Apr 26 2012, Report content
  • I would seek advice from the local authority and also look at the Local Councils list of reputable Private Landlords. Best of Luck.

    Answered on May 2 2012, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Lee-on-the-Solent questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting