Skip to main content Skip to footer

My tenants want me to condemn my own property, eg. in major repairs, so they can get 'kicked out' and get priority on council flat list?!

I bought a flat in Jan, 2009. There were already tents on it. A couple with children. Then, she declaims she is single receiving income support. I install new heating and loft installation in 2010. And each year, I wrote 'landlord reference' to her as she requests. So she can get back to the council housing people. Now she asks me to write a letter to say the flat needs major repairs. I need to move the tenants. So they can get a council flat because the council system or whatever has changed. Is it lawful?! I, of course, think it's not honest. She said she has paid £250 for a fridge, £45 to repair the boiler. And I wasn't available. Should I be responsible for all these? When I bought the flat, there were white goods there, washer, clothes dryer, and fridge. I wasn't aware until now. Can I say when when she moves, she can keep the fridge? Because I wasn't prepared the flat to be furnished. That's all.

Asked on Mar 8 2011, Renting in Liverpool | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0
  • Anything dishonest is likely to be unlawful. Do not put your self at risk. Your responsibility to repair and replace appliances will depend on what it states in your tenancy agreement (appliance repair is not covered by the Landlord & Tenant act). It is always advisable to take responsibility to repair appliances to prevent risk of injury to the tenant. In relation to the boiler, if she can prove that she had to have it repaired, I would recommend you reimburse her just to cover your self. I'm unsure about Liverpool, but in our area properties rent much easier with appliances, it may be worth looking in to this before offering the fridge to her.

    Answered on Mar 8 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Liverpool questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting