Skip to main content Skip to footer

House been up for rent for ten months but still no tenants what can be done?

A local estate agent has been trying to find tenants for my mum's house for over ten months without any luck. Can I go to another estate agent as well to try and rent it out. My mum is in a care home and I need rent to help with the fees.

Asked on Oct 24 2011, Renting in Llangefni | Report content

Answers (6)

Was this question useful? Yes 5 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Firstly I would suggest speaking with the agent to find out why it’s not renting.

    Answered on Oct 24 2011, Report content
  • If the price is too high, it might be difficult to find tenants. Speak to your agent and get a second opinion on the price.

    Answered on Oct 25 2011, Report content
  • If your property has been empty for 10 months something is clearly very wrong. my first thought is that its too expensive in comparison to other properties in the area but there could be something drastically "wrong" with the property that would cause it not to rent. as the other posts have suggested - speak to your agent. How does it compare in terms of price/condition/location to other properties on the market? To a point, there's nothing wrong with a house that a correct price won't fix, but if people have options at your price point, they are going to choose other properties over yours.

    Answered on Nov 12 2011, Report content
  • There are many things you can do to help let the property. You are more than entitled to put the property on with other agents. You could also try reducing the price and taking new photos.

    Answered on Nov 14 2011, Report content
  • Try and get an honest answer from the agent, ie what is letting out as a comparable and why these other properties are letting out rather than yours. If you're wondering how the agent is doing their job, why not ring them or ask a friend to call as a tenant and see what response you get. It may be that the agent isn't taking down adequate details, may not be answering the 'phone in time. The agent should do all they can to be available for viewings, enquiries - make sure that they'll do viewings for people who are in a good position. (Although agents publish opening hours, on some occasions we're forced to do a later than usual appointment if they feel that the applicant needs to move and sounds like a good candidate). Try the same approach with competitors and see what the results are!

    Answered on Dec 22 2011, Report content
  • If your mum went into a care home because she was not well enough to care for herself at home then there should be no fees other than her old age pension contribution for her personal needs such as hairdressing etc. Social services should pay the remainder of the fees. If she went into a care home because it would be in her best interests if there was risk at home or no one to check on her, shop for her nearby etc) then you maybe having to pay fees but try and be sure you need to be paying fees to the carehome as we are busy claiming ours back as we didn't know this. You can advertise a house for sale or rent with as many agents as you want. Good luck finding a tenant :) Maybe holiday let would be something that may work if it is empty of your mum's personal belongings?

    Answered on Mar 29 2012, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Llangefni questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting