Skip to main content Skip to footer

Leaseholder and leak

Hello, I am a leaseholder in a maisonette. I have one flat above me. The flat above are council tenants and they had a water leak which has not been recified and has damaged one of our rooms. The council are still trying to trace the leak. I would like to know from anyone with experience as I am very new to this. Do we conpensate the tenants in our flat as they have not been able to use the room with the leak. If so how? do we do this buy reducing their rent or give them a cheque for time they couldn't use room? Thank you so much

Asked on Apr 24 2010, Renting in London | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • I have had this problem before and the vendor reduced the rent. In some cases the tenants are quite understanding but if the room is not usable then this may be the best way to do it. Hope this was helpful, Duncan Fretter at ThePureGroup

    Answered on Apr 27 2010, Report content
  • Good Afternoon, From my own experience, Having firstly established that the leak has come from the flat above, I contacted the owner of that property to ensure the leak has been dealt with and then I spoke with my insurance company who dealt with the flat owners insurer. Unless there is major structural damage, personally I would not see the need to contact the lender. Kind regards

    Answered on May 27 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting