Skip to main content Skip to footer

Is it legal? Agent has just took my £300 deposit?

I didn't want to take that flat any more because they would give it to me with the cooker broken (even when we saw it they said that they will fix it) and at the moment a smoker and a child are living in the flat so they said that they will not repaint it. They wouldn't hire a professional cleaner, etc.

Asked on Aug 1 2011, Renting in London | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • It would depend on the agreement you have made or signed with the agent. I would think that it is legal unless you specified a no-smoking flat explicitly. You could move in and write to the landlord about the cooker giving him 7 days to replace it or replace it yourself and bill him for the the price (do not withhold rent, that would be a breach by you).

    Answered on Aug 3 2011, Report content
  • You will be lucky if you get the money back. However it is a landlords responsibility to maintain the place to a liveable condition before you move in and whilst you are there. If they failed to do this, contact them and threaten to put in a formal complaint to the reddress society, they deal with any disputes and by law the landlord has to be registerd. They have to investigate it in this scheme and if there not registered you will probably be shocked at how fast they offer your cash back as it's a £1000 fine for them.

    Answered on Aug 18 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting