Skip to main content Skip to footer

Landlord still hasn't returned my holding deposit of £2K+

I moved out of property over a year ago now. Landlord signed inventory moving out form, confirming no deductions needed to be made and deposit would be returned. At the beg. of tenancy, estate agency confirmed deposit would be in a deposit tenancy scheme, then between them they changed this! I found out at the end of my tenancy that the landlord was holding the deposit instead. The agency have stopped responding to my emails and phone calls, and the landlord was a bully and now just doesn't respond. Is there still a chance that I can get my money back? If so, please advise.

Asked on Oct 23 2011, Renting in London | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • I suggest going to a solicitor to find out how you can claim your money back.

    Answered on Oct 24 2011, Report content
  • If your tenancy started fairly recently both the landlord and agent will probably have acted illegally by not registering the deposit with one of the authorised deposit holders. Check your paperwork to see if the agent put his claim in writing and also find everything else that supports the fact that you paid a returnable deposit, that your landlord signed off the inventory and then go to both the Citizens Advice Bureau and the local Council Trading Standards for advice on how to proceed. If the agent/landlord are in collusion there is a fair chance that they have form and that there are other tenants making similar complaints.

    Answered on Oct 27 2011, Report content
  • I suggest that you seek independant legal advice. If your deposit is not registered with a protection scheme you could be entitled to recover three times the amount of the deposit back from the landlord.

    Answered on Nov 14 2011, Report content
  • OFT or local Citizens Advice Bureau should be able to sort it out. You should be able to make a claim for this. Letting agents and estate agents are usually members of regulated bodies who can also help with this problem.

    Answered on Dec 22 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting