Skip to main content Skip to footer

If 3 people share a flat in London (Zone 2) and 1 of them is a student at Open University, are they entitled for zero council tax or any discount?

Is Open University considered as any other institution or is it different? If the student gets full exemption, does it mean the other 2 tenants would still have have to pay the full amount of council tax split between them? Thanks.

Asked on Feb 17 2012, Renting in London | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Check with your local authority although I'm pretty certain that open university does not mean someone is considered to be a student and no discount will apply.

    Answered on Feb 20 2012, Report content
  • OU is classed as full time education but as there is more than one occupant in full time employment then the full council tax is liable. Sorry! "An exemption can be granted on your Council Tax if the home is only lived in by full-time students"

    Web reference:

    Answered on Oct 9 2012, Report content
  • Hi, For any questions in relation to council tax we would suggest that you get in contact with the local council for the area who will be able to advise you on what and your property is in and the charges. If you explain your situation you may be eligible for discounts when living with students.

    Answered on Sep 26 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting