Skip to main content Skip to footer

I am coming from Sweden with my kids and have nowhere to go . How do I find a house/flat quick that will accept me as a tenant?

How do I do? I was promised a house in Battersea but the house is no longer there and now we have nowhere to go and it´s only 11 days left until we come over. We are moving from Sweden to the UK!

Asked on Jun 24 2012, Renting in London | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi sorry to hear about your situation the only advice i can give to the best of my knowledge is to visit Wandsworth council and have a go at applying for emergency housing as you will be treated as homeless and should be given priority because you have children, in the meantime if you are able to rent short term you could look into family hostels in london for example: best of luck and God bless.

    Answered on Jun 24 2012, Report content
  • We were in the same situation, coming from overseas with 2 kids. We looked for property online (zoopla, rightmove), when we found something suitable (don't look for the supergood deal if you are not able to view the place) we phoned the agency and they mediated with the landlord. We were asked lots of references and cross checks as they could not meet with us but it worked fine at the end. Look for a 6-months contract just in case you really don't like the place. All was done in 2 weeks over christmas holidays so it's possible! Giulia

    Answered on Jun 25 2012, Report content
  • Really bad situation, see if you are looking for flat to rent in London then I would suggest you to directly consult with local letting agents. They will help you with many options and it will save your lot of time too.

    Answered on Jun 29 2012, Report content
  • We still have not got anywhere to live. We are currently staying with my son's older half brother but we are over crowded. 3 adults and 6 kids in the same house. The house is very small but the council tells me that I have to be in Southwark for at least 6 months before they can help me. We came early July. My savings is almost gone now and I have not heard anything regarding my applications about child benefit and JSA.

    Answered on Sep 10 2012, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting