Skip to main content Skip to footer

Housing benefit and private Landlords

How do I find a Private Landlord who is willing to take housing benefit?

Asked on Jul 12 2012, Renting in London | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Try looking in local papers, loot etc.

    Answered on Jul 12 2012, Report content
  • This depends on many factors. If you walk into an agency and immediately say "Housing Benefit" then you're likely to be shown the door - rightly or wrongly, it's just how it is likely to go. Many Landlords are timid at the idea of accepting Housing Benefit, LHA, or "DSS" tenants due to the perceived (and sometimes accurately so) high risk of damage or neglect where the property is concerned. Perhaps try getting references from employers, previous landlords and agents to show that you're a trustworthy individual, and try asking the Local Authority if they would pay the rent directly to the agency. I don't suggest you lie to your agent, but sometimes re-positioning the truth in a favourable light can do wonders! Best of Luck.

    Answered on Aug 9 2012, Report content
  • There is a new website specifically for DSS applicants. - it has been created by a chap who has specialised in DSS tenants for many years and so it has the backup of his knowledge & experience. The difficulty you are going to find more and more is that mortgage companies are putting conditions in mortgages not to rent to Housing Benefit

    Web reference:

    Answered on Oct 9 2012, Report content
  • Because I'm on benefits

    Answered on May 15 2015, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting