Skip to main content Skip to footer

I need a house-sitter for 1 year

I am in a 2 bedroom council house with garden but want to work abroad for 1 year. I cannot sub-let but can get a house-sitter. I would need them to cover rent and council tax, how might I go about this?

Asked on Jun 8 2013, Renting in London | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Only someone with access to your bank account can pay rent/council tax I'm afraid

    Answered on Jun 9 2013, Report content
  • If your Council allow house sitting, they may have a form to allow someone else to pay your Rent. Banks do. They do not generally advertise this. But will accept payment from anyone - especially where difficulties may arise with debt. Council tax should present less of a problem. There will probably be a way to do this that is acceptable to the Council, as long as you are not perceived to be making a profit. Where is the property?

    Answered on Jun 9 2013, Report content
  • My query was how to get a house-sitter without contravening local authority housing legislation. I would want the house-sitter to pay me, so that I could then pay the rent but was not sure whether this would be legal. I am not looking to make a profit only to have the rent and council tax covered by the house-sittter. My house is in Norbury, (London/Croydon)

    Answered on Jun 10 2013, Report content
  • With permission from my landlord I have found a house-sitter. Many thanks for all your help.

    Answered on Jun 15 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting