Skip to main content Skip to footer

How can my baby and girlfriend join me if I can't afford to rent privately?

I don't think my situation is that uncommon but so far I couldn't find any information online and decided to post my question here. I've been living in the UK for 10 years now and I am a naturalized citizen. My girlfriend who has never lived in the UK decided to give birth to our baby abroad (EU). Now I am looking for options to be joined by them, sooner rather than later. I work as a self employed person, earning approx. £27000 gross a year (after expenses and so on £17-£18k net). Obviously with this sort of income I cannot afford to rent privately any half decent property in London. Since my people are not here yet I guess I cannot get any help from my local council right now? Is that so? The only option I can think of would be to try to rent a flat on the open market, but in order to do this I will have to tell the prospective landlord that I will be the sole occupier. Well, I would like to think there is some legal and straightforward solution.

Asked on Nov 7 2014, Renting in London | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • This might not be what you want to hear, but whether they join you or not just yet (and I hope you are reunited with your family soon) the likely answer is you are going to need to look outside of London. It's an expensive city, and on your salary it's barely possible to live as a single person let alone with a family. You could have much better standard of living elsewhere in the country. Worth considering. I doubt the council will be able to help with council owned housing, other than to put you on a long waiting list (and it would take years to get a place that way). You may be eligible for housing benefit to help with private rental costs but in London as a single person under 35 years of age this is only likely to cover a room in a shared house so not much help if you're trying to get somewhere before they arrive. Best wishes to you and your family

    Answered on Nov 13 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting