Skip to main content Skip to footer

Moving from USA to London

I'd always been interested in moving to London or some portion of England but I currently live in California, United States. I hope to move to England come the summer time. (after 6 June, 2015) Is there any advice, tips, or permits I should look into before the move, during the move, or after?

Asked on Nov 21 2014, Renting in London | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi Flores, I've actually answered a question on here before related to an Expat moving to England from America. I raise some points in the video that you might be interested in, i'll put the video transcription below and let me know if you need any more help! It’s a good question it is going to make life a little bit more difficult for you I’m afraid. You haven’t got a credit history here I would think and you haven’t got things like an employment contract or previous landlords that you can go to for a reference. So what you’ll need to do is think about your own situation, is there someone in the UK here who would act as guarantor for you or do you have a big pot of money somewhere that you could put down as a double deposit or perhaps pay 6 months or years rent in advance. That would be of real comfort to a landlord who’s then going to look more favourably on a lack of references for you, but in terms of technicality really all you’ll really need is a passport or photo driving licence, something like that just to prove you are who you say you are. As I said paying rent in advance should help or if you’re coming over here to become employed in the UK, a job offer letter, a reference from your future employer should hopefully do the trick. Every agent I’m afraid, every landlord is different, so you’ve really just got to put the best package you can together and then start knocking on a few doors and see who answers. If you have any other queries just let me know. Regards, Jonathan Rolande :)

    Web reference: http://

    Answered on Dec 3 2014, Report content
  • Other than the usual Immigration visa issues it is quite straight forward to rent or buy a property in the UK (you don’t mention which you wish to do). I’d suggest renting first to really get a good view of the areas you like, London can vary street by street. The minimum length of tenancy is 6 months.

    Answered on Dec 8 2014, Report content
  • Hi, Please make sure you have a job in place or have funds available to fund the move as the house prices in England are rising steadily. You may find that California is much cheaper in all aspects compared to London. Rent is around £1000 for a 1 bedroom apartment, purchase cost around £200,000. You will not need any permits apart from your visa and National Insurance (if you wish to work) and driving licence (you can drive on your american licence for 1 year but your insurance will be very high). London is very much like New York in terms of the dynamics of the city but much more expensive.

    Answered on Dec 11 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting