Skip to main content Skip to footer

Landlords accepting Dss

Where can I find landlords in the Lewisham borough and surrounding area who are willing to take tenants on Dss?

Asked on Nov 30 2014, Renting in London | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hey Eddz, This is a common problem. Agents do not let to housing benefit people sometimes because of, well, different reasons, really it can be just almost sort of prejudice because of the stigma of housing benefits, not all agents don’t like the idea of it. Other reasons can be that properties can be a little bit more difficult to ensure if there is housing benefit tenant, and even some mortgage companies do not like letting to housing benefits. So, if you are being refused, it may not just be the agent or landlord’s fault. It may be some other authority causing the problem. The best thing that you can do really is to just go around every single agent you can, present yourself well. If you got references or a guarantor or a substantial amount of money that you can pay in advance, for example, have all that documented and show it to them. That way, they will be a lot more likely to take you seriously and to try and help. Another thing you can do is to go through the ads in the back of the newspaper, the property section, and even things like looking around your local area, shop windows, post office, that sort of thing. Often there are post cards in the windows from private landlords who might not have the same problems letting to a housing benefit tenant as you are finding at the moment. The other thing also you could do is to contact your local authority and find out names of housing associations in your area who would be more than happy to let to you, and then of course you know that it is a long term prospect as well. 6 months that you could be asked to leave at any time. So, I hope that helps a bit, and good luck. Hope you could find your new home. Regards, Jonathan :-)

    Answered on Dec 1 2014, Report content
  • Where can and how can get through my house searching with success to rent a house that landlords are willing to accept part housing benefit...I need a place to stay within 10 days..areas se6 se8 se13 se3 lewisham borough generally

    Answered on Aug 7 2015, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting