Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Agents that accept housing benefit

How do I know which agencies accept housing benefit? Do I have to tell them?

Asked on Feb 20 2015, Renting in London | Report content

Answers (8)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hey Cat, This is a common problem. Agents do not let to housing benefit people sometimes because of, well, different reasons, really it can be just almost sort of prejudice because of the stigma of housing benefits, not all agents don’t like the idea of it. Other reasons can be that properties can be a little bit more difficult to ensure if there is housing benefit tenant, and even some mortgage companies do not like letting to housing benefits. So, if you are being refused, it may not just be the agent or landlord’s fault. It may be some other authority causing the problem. The best thing that you can do really is to just go around every single agent you can, present yourself well. If you got references or a guarantor or a substantial amount of money that you can pay in advance, for example, have all that documented and show it to them. That way, they will be a lot more likely to take you seriously and to try and help. Another thing you can do is to go through the ads in the back of the newspaper, the property section, and even things like looking around your local area, shop windows, post office, that sort of thing. Often there are post cards in the windows from private landlords who might not have the same problems letting to a housing benefit tenant as you are finding at the moment. The other thing also you could do is to contact your local authority and find out names of housing associations in your area who would be more than happy to let to you, and then of course you know that it is a long term prospect as well. 6 months that you could be asked to leave at any time. So, I hope that helps a bit, and good luck. Hope you could find your new home. Jonathan :-)

    Answered on Feb 25 2015, Report content
  • The decision lies with our Landlords in Basingstoke, some will accept housing benefit others wont. I recommend asking all agents and always be upfront as if they find out after the referencing you may loose your holding deposit, should the Landlord not accept your situation. Another thing to think about is whether your local council will pay the rent direct to the Landlord, its worth asking. I hope that helps.

    Answered on Mar 19 2015, Report content
  • Hello After months of stressing my partner and myself are finally awaiting checks on a property. My partner is on housing benefit and we struggled to find even a private landlord who will accept us. The best way to do this, is just to research. There is agencies out there that specialise in actually only accepting those with housing benefit (or at least have a better chance). A lot of private landlords state whether or not they accept DSS (housing benefit) or not. However going through agencies may be a little tougher. If you don't mind paying more than a months rent in advance and a massive upfront fee and a large deposit then you may stand a better chance. Its advised that you tell them, they do checks after all. When applying for a house/flat etc, they ask on the application form for employment and they will contact them possibly asking for a reference, so putting a fake company down will jeopardise your chances. I hope this has been some help for you

    Answered on Mar 27 2015, Report content
  • It's often less about the agent and more about the landlord. Some do, some don't. Try If you don't tell an agent, they will find out when they do referencing, so honesty is the best policy!

    Answered on Mar 27 2015, Report content
  • Best to be honest, Landlords will obviously state if they accept housing benefit

    Answered on Nov 2 2016, Report content
  • Yes you have to tell them

    Answered on Feb 9 2017, Report content
  • Yes you have to tell them

    Answered on Mar 18 2017, Report content
  • I’m taking housing benefits and I would like to rent new or move to new house

    Answered on Jan 4 2018, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting