Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

How do I rent a property when unemployed?

Hi my name is Gregor John Gardiner, I am currently living in a small town called Dalmellington. I am looking to move to the central belt to find work and I am currently unemployed so I am unable to pay a deposit or a months rent in advance. Is there anyway Zoopla or any agencies could help me on this matter? From Gregor J Gardiner

Asked on Mar 11 2014, Renting in Motherwell | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Hi Gregor, If you are looking to rent at the moment while unemployed and unable to pay a deposit or rent upfront, you might find yourself in a very difficult position, because the vast majority of landlords will be looking for this sort of financial commitment in the first place. It is a way for them to be sure that you can afford to pay your rent. Most rent is also paid in advance for the month ahead as well, so if you aren't able to pay this, you will be in a very difficult position. The only options that I could see for you at the moment is to look into getting in touch with the council in the area you want to move to. If you are on housing benefits at the moment, you should be able to obtain a list of landlords and letting agencies that will be happy to deal with you and this could improve your chances of finding somewhere to rent. Otherwise, it might be a case of trying to find a job before you move. If you are not on benefits, then a letting agents will be looking for an assurance that you can pay your rent month to month, and the only way you will be able to do this is to show them that you will have a steady rate of income coming into your bank account each month that will allow you to keep up on rental payments. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Mar 17 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Motherwell questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting