Skip to main content Skip to footer

If I am currently under bankruptcy, how do I rent a house?

I am currently under bankruptcy and renting a house through private agreement with the owner, but now want to move out of the area to Alsager/Sandbach area, but I have contacted a number of estate agents around the desired area & and they have not been much help except to say read the local papers for private landlords. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of moving?

Asked on Jan 12 2011, Renting in Newcastle-under-Lyme | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • The only thing you can do, other than renting with a private landlord is to apply with a suitable guarantor. Alternatively an agent may accept six/twelve months rent in advance. It may be best to call the agents back and find out what the criteria is for a guarantor.

    Answered on Jan 13 2011, Report content
  • The best thing to do would be to provide a guarantor. The general outline that most agencies would accept for a guarantor would be that the guarantor is a UK home owner, and be earning roughly 36x the monthly rent. Other than this, another option which is also available to you is that you pay a minimum of 6 months rent upfront. All agencies would reference an applicant, along with conducting a credit check on them, and therefore you may not pass referencing. A third option that you may have is looking into local newspapers for private landlords. This is because some private landlords will consider this, however may also ask for some form of rent upfront. I hope this has helped!

    Answered on Jan 13 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Newcastle-under-Lyme questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting