Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Which utility bills is a renter liable for?

We currently live in Spain and want to relocate to the UK. Initially we are interested in renting a small property, 2 beds and would be interested to receive details of utility bills, council tax etc. I am unsure whether the Landlord pays certain charges.

Asked on Sep 23 2011, Renting in Norwich | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • It's normal for a tenant to pay all these sorts of things - gas, electricity, council tax and water rates. The only thing the Landlord usually pays is service charegs if you rent a flat. The cost of these things depends entirely on wehere you're living and how much you consume in terms of energy etc.

    Answered on Sep 26 2011, Report content
  • Hi, tenants are resonsible for all of the main utility bills to include Council Tax, water, electricity and gas. It will be your responsibility to take meter readings when you move-in and they contact the relevant companies to let them know. The landlords are not responsible for any rates but some do include bills in the rent so ask the agent beforehand.

    Answered on Sep 30 2011, Report content
  • Hi, Usually the tenant would pay all utility bills for the property which includes Gas, Electric and council tax however it is best to consult the agent letting the property to find out as sometimes there will be rentals available with bills included.

    Answered on Sep 26 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Norwich questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting