Skip to main content Skip to footer

Council Tax - who pays? Landlord or tenant?

Asked on Feb 4 2013, Renting in Norwich | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi Mikel800, Normally, with most tenancies anyway, the responsibility for council tax payments will fall on the tenant. This will be the case for the vast majority, although there are likely to be a small number of landlords in areas of smaller demand who will offer incentives like this as inclusive in the rent in order to attract tenants. It could be useful to talk to the landlord themselves to find out if they will pay, or if you have to. However, I would advise that unless it is stated in the listing that the landlord will cover the monthly cost of your council tax, that it will be something that you will have to pay yourself. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Feb 6 2013, Report content
  • I am currently a tenant and it is my responsibility to pay council tax, water, electric and also contents insurance.

    Answered on Feb 17 2013, Report content
  • It is an obligation of the landlord's which can be legally passed onto the tenant. Always, make sure the responsibility is determined be a tenancy agreement is signed.

    Answered on Mar 19 2013, Report content
  • Hi, Usually the council tax and any other bills occured on a property are all dealt with by the tenant however we would advise that you check your contract to see if the landlord has included any utility bills within the rental amount. We hope this helps.

    Answered on Sep 24 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Norwich questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting