Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Who is liable for the council tax - the landlord or the tenant?

Asked on Nov 29 2014, Renting in Oxford | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hello KatR, I’m afraid as it’s so often the case with property, it’s not a simple yes or no answer, and every property can be different. Now on the whole they don’t include council tax, the only thing they may include is something like building insurance, but everything else as tenant you’ll be responsible for paying; council tax, contents insurance, electricity, gas, that kind of thing. However, some sorts of property do include council tax, they may be more the flat let type property, bedsit, house in multiple occupation those sort of things, houses that are just set up as an individual family house or flat genuinely don’t include it. The best thing to do is check with the landlord and agent and if they do tell you that it includes anything make sure you get it in writing and that’s reflected in the agreement you sign, otherwise they could deny all knowledge later, so as I say always check and make sure you confirm in writing. Regards, Jonathan :-)

    Web reference:

    Answered on Dec 1 2014, Report content
  • Always the tenant, unless multiple occupants then landlord

    Web reference:

    Answered on Dec 4 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Oxford questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting