Skip to main content Skip to footer

Can I rent out my house with an agent?

I own a house that is up for sale at the moment. I would like to know if I could rent this house out with an agent to help? I would also like to remortgage this house so I could buy another property to live in, and the rent would pay for the repayments.

Asked on Oct 22 2010, Renting in Polegate | Report content

Answers (5)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • You most certainly can, it is a good idea if you don’t want to sell your currant house. Renting without an agent is possible, just be careful. Get a solicitor to prepare a rental agreement, screen the people who will rent your property, check references, take a large deposit for potential damages, and have clauses for anything you do or do not want to happen in your property. I’m sure other people will be along to give more hints and tips. Research and cover all bases, a bad tenant could be a nightmare. So no.1 check out the person/s who will rent your property to be sure they haven’t been evicted from their last property or properties and things like that. Best of luck.

    Answered on Oct 23 2010, Report content
  • I agree with the above, and also advise caution about NOT using an agent if you have never been a landlord before. There are so many legalities involved, some with very serious punishments for you as the landlord. Make sure you do some research, and find an agent who has a good knowledge of your rights and responsibilities as a landlord. Also, don't let an agent "buy your business", cheaper isn't always best! At the moment, a property will almost always rent before it sells if it is priced correctly and marketed well.

    Answered on Oct 23 2010, Report content
  • I agree with the above, one forgotten gas or electrical test and you are in all sorts of trouble so use an agent. Speak to an independent financal advisor and they should be able to get you a good let to buy mortgage. If you can keep your current property and still buy it is a very shrewd move in the current market. Good luck

    Answered on Oct 23 2010, Report content
  • I agree with the above, but would also add that it would be a good idea to take out guaranteed rental insurance given that in the current economic climate, many landlords are finding their default rates are higher as tenants struggle with rising unemployment and increased bills. Recovering arrears can be difficult and costly for landlords, without any guarantee of success. The cost of such an insurance is circa £60.00 for a 6 month term and £90.00 for a 12 month term.

    Answered on Oct 23 2010, Report content
  • Hi, With the market the way is it at the moment, many Landlords are chosing to rent their property rather than sell. Many agents will happily help you rent your property.

    Answered on Dec 15 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Polegate questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting