Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Have an eviction notice but have a child with emotional needs who has a rabbit and 2 cats. Please help

I'm a working, single, disabled mum of a 10 year old, have received an eviction notice which expires on 31st August - I'm in private rent. This is the 2nd time I've been evicted now where the landlords want their properties back. I have been to the council and have given them supportive letters from NCH, social worker, Child and Families, my Welfare Officer and now the school nurse is writing to them but the council aren't bothered about the letters to keep animals and my daughter together. I've registered with over 60 estate agents in Wiltshire and am not having luck with providing accommodation for us all as a family. It's making me ill where I can't sleep or eat. I haven't been to the GP yet. Do I ask her to write? Can the council ignore these medical people? There are no properties that I can find in Wiltshire who will house us with cats who are trained and an outside rabbit. Please can someone help advise me as a desperate working single mum who doesn't know what else to do? Thank you

Asked on Jul 26 2010, Renting in Salisbury | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Suggest you try link to Shelter who have advice on their website and can give details of other organisations that may be able to assist you to find alternative accomodation. Link page indicates what rights you and landlord have in respect of a properly conducted eviction process. It may be worth offering a larger deposit or bond as cover against costs of cleaning or repairing any damage that a prospective landlord thinks may occur if you have pets. You may consider approaching local press or TV to see if any kind-hearted landlords in your area are prepared to help out.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Jul 27 2010, Report content
  • I have sympathy for your plight. You are going to have to be proactive. Ask your existing landlord/neighbours/employers etc. for a written reference that you can produce readily. Invite prospective landlords to your current property to see 'how you live'. Advertise wanted on gumtree. Contact your local newspaper, maybe they would assist with an enhanced listing in relevant section. Cards in newsagents etc. Good luck!

    Answered on Aug 5 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Salisbury questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting