Skip to main content Skip to footer

Can I rent if on benefits?

Asked on Mar 29 2010, Renting in Sheffield | Report content

Answers (3)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Yes you can but many agents can't or won't due the official bodies they are assigned to not being willing to accept DSS tenants. You should contact the local council housing office they should have a list of lanlords who will accept DSS tenants. good luck

    Answered on Mar 29 2010, Report content
  • Hi We would suggest that you contact your local authority who should have a list of private landlords that accept DSS or Housing Benefit. They will also be able to recommend local agents who also deal with Housing Benefit. Also, a good website for private landlords is gumtree. You can search in your area for landlords who will take dss and they have their numbers direct. Good Luck Harringtons Lettings

    Answered on Mar 30 2010, Report content
  • Hi, if you pay your rent in advance - 6 months or a year, then you don't need to inform your landlady that you are on benefits. I rented a place for 6 months with rent in advance which came to £5,000. Then I saved the housing benifit at end of 5 months, and added it to the next payment.

    Answered on Mar 4 2016, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Sheffield questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting