Skip to main content Skip to footer

Who is an estate agent's governing body?

I want to rent a property and want to know who is governing the agents or check whether they are registered agents or not.

Asked on Aug 24 2012, Renting in South Croydon | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • There are several around but they are all (current) voluntary as our industry is relatively unregulated. The key ones are: ARLA, NALS, NAEA, RICS, TPOS, SAFEAgent, UKALA - however if an agent is not a member of any of these there isn't much you can do unless they have broken the LAW. If they are not members of any of these start by contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau, The Tenants Voise UK (on Facebook & twitter) or Shelter (for more extreme issues). However, if you do have an issue, do report bit officially to the agent first and give the boss/manager a chance to address the issue before taking further action. This will speed things along should a serious course of action be reuired as this will be the standard recommended forst course of action from almost all of the above organisations.

    Web reference:

    Answered on May 23 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in South Croydon questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting