Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Selling Assured Short hold tenancy tenants

I need to sell a property I'm renting out during the Assured Short Hold Tenancy agreement. I'm suffering financial hardship and need to sell the property. What notices do I need to serve?

Asked on Feb 3 2017, Renting in Southend-on-Sea | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • If they want to stay on, you may well be able to sell the house with tenants in situ. However, should you wish to sell - provided that you have an AST in place - the tenant can be given notice after the end of the fixed term (usually 6-12 months) using a section 21 notice. There may be a break clause that would enable you to advise the tenant of your desire to terminate the agreement within a stipulated timeframe. You will normally need to give two months’ notice so that your rights are protected. There are a number of professional organisations that do not charge too much - may be worth approaching them to make sure you are taking the right steps.

    Web reference: http://

    Answered on Feb 6 2017, Report content
  • No notices are required, and cash buyers will buy with the tenant in situ. It will be for the buyer to serve relevant notices on purchase informing the tenants of their new Landlord.

    Answered on Feb 7 2017, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Southend-on-Sea questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting