Skip to main content Skip to footer

My landlord hasn't put my deposit in a protection scheme, what can I do?

I've just been giving notice to quit as my landlord is selling the property I'm renting. I've just found out that my deposit hasn't been put in a tenants protection scheme. What can I do to ensure I get my deposit back?

Asked on Oct 30 2009, Renting in Spalding | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Talk to the citizens advice bureau and then the local council who will have a tenancy relations officer to deal with this for you

    Answered on Nov 4 2009, Report content
  • You'll need to serve your landlord a county court notice to make so that he puts your deposit in the protection scheme, providing you signed the agreement after April 2007 (I think). If that is too late and he doesn't pay your deposit, it'll mean making a claim in the small claims court. Otherwise withold the rent, don't pay let it cover your deposit and after vacating you can have the upper hand in negotiating if the landlord feels he is entitled to the deposit. Let me know how it goes, I'm in a similar situation.

    Answered on Nov 6 2009, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Spalding questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting