Skip to main content Skip to footer

How can I find private housing that accept DSS?

I live in Swadlincote & can't find any private landlords without going through an estate agent that accept DSS.

Asked on Nov 19 2010, Renting in Swadlincote | Report content

Answers (7)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Ask at the housing benefit office. They will have a list of private landlords that take LHA tenants (people don't call it DSS anymore, they say HB or LHA). Swadlincote is a very small place though, you'd probably have to get somewhere in Burton.

    Answered on Nov 26 2010, Report content
  • Agree with the above. Another option you have is to contact estate agencies around the area you are looking for, and ask them if they do accept HB/LHA/DSS. This is all down to the landlords choice of tenant.

    Answered on Jan 13 2011, Report content
  • Hi We would suggest that you contact your local authority who should have a list of private landlords that accept DSS or Housing Benefit. They will also be able to recommend local agents who also deal with Housing Benefit. Also, a good website for private landlords is gumtree. You can search in your area for landlords who will take dss and they have their numbers direct. Good Luck Harringtons Lettings

    Answered on Sep 30 2011, Report content
  • I rent all my housing to LHA and don't use agencies or take deposits. However I feel I am an excellent judge of character and will only let my houses to those I feel will not abuse my trusting nature. Touch wood I have not been let down so far. The majority of my buy to let housing is in South Derbyshire.

    Answered on Oct 22 2011, Report content
  • The best thing I can suggest is to have ask around either at South Derbyshire County Council or at local letting agents. Letting agents will be able to give you a good idea of what properties they have on offer where the landlords are willing to accept LHA (Local Housing Allowance). Many local landlords will accept a LHA tenants as long as you can provide a guarantor alongside your application. Another good place to look is in local newsagents windows and places like the notice boards at the supermarkets and Post Offices. Here at Fletcher and Sons we are working hard to find landlords around the area that are willing to accept LHA because we know from experience that 99% of LHA tenants are brilliant at paying on time every month. As a final note I will say that you should never give up!

    Answered on Nov 19 2011, Report content
  • Answered on Dec 24 2013, Report content
  • Need housing please in swadlincote have you any numbers please for one bedroom having treatment for spine damage before I return to work

    Answered on Jul 7 2016, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Swadlincote questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting