Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Housing benefit and credit checks fail

Can u rent a property on housing benefit without a credit check? And what about if u are already renting from a private landlord and getting full housing benefit paid to them and they decide they cannot renew your lease because they want to sell the property? How can that person rent again? When its not their fault they have to move out. And the council cannot not help although u have 2 children who are gonna be homeless. There are no private landlords out there and it costs alot of money for credit checks and they want months rent. What if that person is a single mum? Dont have that kind of money. How is she meant to find somewhere to live with a good reference off her landlord but not a good credit history as trying to support her children? Can u help?

Asked on Jul 28 2013, Renting in Tamworth | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi loisehanna, Unfortunately it can be quite difficult in the situation you are in to find something because a lot of landlords will specify that they do not want to enter into tenancy agreements with those on benefits. However, there are things that you can do, and the good news is that there are a lot of letting agents out there who don't even carry out credit checks, so if you can find one of these then you will definitely be in a much better position from the off. Other things that can help you out will include the references from your current landlord, which you say you already have, so that is good news. This will show agents that you are reliable and that your rent is always paid. You will also need a guarantor as well though - this is someone who must take legal responsibility if your rent is not paid, and it is used to safeguard landlords. You need a signed letter from them to state that they are prepared to take this responsibility on. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Jul 30 2013, Report content
  • Hi,You need to speak to your local housing authority (In my area it is called incommunities) If you request to speak to the manager or send a recorded letter to the manager asking for a response within 10days-state your current circumstances and that you need help. Often the LHA won't help unless you're placed as priority so to get this priority status your landlord needs to issue notice(If you're landlord is approachable enough maybe he can help you by maybe backdating the notice so it looks as though it has expired,along with a letter from him stating he requires possession of the house)

    Answered on Aug 12 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Tamworth questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting