Skip to main content Menu with new notification Skip to footer

Land lords/ estate agents who accept housing benefit.

We are looking for a landlord or estate agent who accepts part housing benefit and part payment from tenant. I am finding it really difficult to find an estate agent or landlord in the West London area and hope someone could advise me on how to go about it. We have fantastic references and our current landlord is really sorry to see we have to move but Acton rental market has exploded and for that reason we are happy to down size or move away.

Asked on May 6 2015, Renting in UK | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hey Wendy! This is a common problem. Agents do not let to housing benefit people sometimes because of, well, different reasons, really it can be just almost sort of prejudice because of the stigma of housing benefits, not all agents don’t like the idea of it. Other reasons can be that properties can be a little bit more difficult to ensure if there is housing benefit tenant, and even some mortgage companies do not like letting to housing benefits. So, if you are being refused, it may not just be the agent or landlord’s fault. It may be some other authority causing the problem. The best thing that you can do really is to just go around every single agent you can, present yourself well. If you got references or a guarantor or a substantial amount of money that you can pay in advance, for example, have all that documented and show it to them. That way, they will be a lot more likely to take you seriously and to try and help. Hope you can find a solution :-)

    Web reference:

    Answered on May 11 2015, Report content
  • I'm looking to rent in Ramsbottom

    Answered on May 30 2018, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in UK questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting