Skip to main content Skip to footer

Information on notice periods to leave contract?

I am looking to rent for approx 1 year. However my job may mean I'll have to vacate the property earlier. How can I avoid paying rent for a property I no longer need. I assume that I'll have to give a months notice or similar.

Asked on Dec 7 2012, Renting in Bridgend | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Hi Martinwatkins, Much of this will depend on the agreement that you have with your landlord, but there are a number of options open to you. If you are considering a fixed term tenancy agreement, say for six months or a year as you suggest, then it might be possible to add in a break clause which will allow you to move on before your contract is up. If this is not included then you will not be able to end the agreement early without coming to an amicable conclusion with your landlord. It is not uncommon for both parties to agree on an early "surrender", either by operation of the law or by a declaration of surrender. I would advise putting any agreement in writing so that both sides have something down on paper, and this will also take into account any joint tenants concurring. Check out the Property to Rent section on the Zoopla website to get the ball rolling. Thanks, Scott

    Web reference:

    Answered on Dec 11 2012, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Bridgend questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting