Skip to main content Skip to footer

If your 16 and your parter is 18, how do you go about renting a flat long term?

It's our first time ever looking for a flat, we really want to move in together but we don't know how to, can you please give us any tips or advice?

Asked on Jan 25 2012, Renting in Newport | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • You have to be 18 to form a contract in the UK. Although there are exceptions called contracts of necessity - you would need to speak with your local citizens advice bureau for more info. You could also consider a contract in your partners name only with you listed as a permitted occupier - that way you would not need to be referenced or accountable for the rent - although this does depend on your partner earnign enough to cover the rent and any earnings ratio applied by your agent / landlord or their referencing company. Offer up a guarantor as well and you should be fine. Just remember to get yourself added to the contract when you are 18 !

    Answered on Jan 30 2012, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Newport questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting