Skip to main content Skip to footer

Renting a private property with very poor credit score

My current house contract has come to an end and my landlady apparently told my current letting agent that she will move back to the house which means I am forced to leave the house. I am currently applying for references for a new house which is rented out by a letting agent. I searched my credit score on Equifax &Equifax and both came up as very poor (256 on one, 126 on the other)as I had a defaulted account back in 2012 which I am now under payment arrangement (only 1-2 months left)- my fault - moved house and did not inform them, thought I did not go overdrawn but apparently did and accumulated money due to overdrawn fee over months and knew nothing till debt collecting agent sent me letter and contacted them to offer repayment straight away. I am however earning 6x more than the rent each month. I wonder what would be best option? Can I offer them the whole rents for the contract period? Whether there is a chance they will accept?

Asked on Jan 4 2014, Renting in Walsall | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0
  • Hi, If you can afford to pay them the full period's rent in one go, then yes, there is absolutely no reason they should reject you. The only reason a landlord or agent will normally not work with someone who has a bad credit history is because they are worried about them defaulting on payments, so paying all the money up front would negate this issue. However, if you do come across an agent or landlord who is still a little unsure, there are other things you can do. Examples include providing a letter from a guarantor or references from your former landlords to say that you have been reliable with your monthly payments. As I say though, the fact you are able to pay all the money up front should definitely be enough for a landlord. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Jan 20 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Walsall questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting