Skip to main content Skip to footer

I am a single professional single mum with poor credit and no guarantor. I have the assistance of a deposit and the rent in advance.

How can I get access to housing without the means to support the rent, which is actually comparitively high for any single person to manage. Are there any local landlords that accept private tenants receiving housing benefit? We are very desperate, as homeless, and Crawley Council are likely to evict us shortly, as they will not consider us for social housing.

Asked on Aug 29 2013, Renting in Crawley | Report content

Answers (7)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • Hi, Most landlords will accept DSS subject to the appropriate referencing and credit scoring.

    Answered on Sep 6 2013, Report content
  • Hi Tania ! At the moment i am looking to buy a property to invest soon . So, i need immediate Tenants to stay in my house so that i can get an immediate Rental Income from the beginning of purchasing the house . Will u be comfortable to stay in a room with other people in the same house so that u pay less ?

    Answered on Sep 6 2013, Report content
  • I would love to be able to share with people, but not something that is suitable as my 5 year old daughter is lively, and most people do not want to share with children. We need our own private space. In response to the other answer, I already know my credit score is zero, and unable to be in the financial postion to pay todays rental costs, it will always be above what I am capable of earning, as I have the additional costs of childcare, which is very expensive here....yep, a tricky dilemma that I wish I could yep housing benefit is the only way i can pay the rent..this is pretty much the case for most single parent families on low incomes

    Answered on Sep 6 2013, Report content
  • Hi Tania, Unfortunately the fact that you have no guarantor and are going to have to be using benefits will make it hard for you to find somewhere at the moment, The easiest way to get through this barrier is with a guarantor, but if you really have no one, then it will be all about trying to work out a deal with a letting agent. You said that you have the means for a deposit and rent in advance. If you couple this with references from renting in the past to say that you always paid your rent on time, then you might just have a chance of reasoning with them and working out a deal. You could also try asking the council if they have a list of landlords who will work with people on benefits, as many do. Hopefully it goes alright and you manage to get something. Many thanks, Scott

    Answered on Sep 6 2013, Report content
  • How much is the Housing benefit do you get? And are you willing to move if I help you?

    Answered on Sep 6 2013, Report content
  • Unfortunately none of the agents will accept without a guarantor, already did the rounds 2 months ago....its a defo NO, with no for the council, they tell me to go private, they have one scheme, called the rent deposit scheme, which I do not qualify for, despite being to countless so called charities and the Council, nobody can help us, becus we are in receipt of benefits, with no guarantor or the means to pay full rent or pass the credit check, bascially no landlord accepts DSS, and there arIe no websites I can find this area that accept dss...I am registered with numerous sites, nothing accepts DSS

    Answered on Sep 6 2013, Report content
  • I cannot phone, no phone credit, I am unable re-locate, I am now at college, which will hopefully get me out of the dss trap. I cannot share with anybody. Just hoping somebody somewhere knows of any private landlord in CRAWLEY who accepts DSS, and if by default the housing benefit gets messed up, I will accept homelessness again, although next time if this happens I wont be found intentionally homeless. Its in my interests to secure a decent landlord who knows that housing benefit is reliable, and I dont want to be homeless again....something so simple, being so difficult to attain

    Answered on Sep 6 2013, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Renting in Crawley questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Renting