Skip to main content Skip to footer

EPC necessary for family sale?

My brother is buying my house. It's with our solicitors. His solicitor requested an EPC. I haven't marketed my house, I haven't used an estate agent and my brother does not want an EPC, (he doesn't see the point). So, am I legally required to jump through this hoop?

Asked on Jan 5 2017, Selling in Birmingham | Report content

Answers (2)

Was this question useful? Yes 0 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • I believe so. According to the government´s website: "Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is: built, sold, rented," - so I would assume that you would need one, even though you are selling to your brother. I think there´s quite a lot of competition amongst providers so you should be able to get one for a reasonable price if you shop around (see the link below).

    Web reference:

    Answered on Jan 9 2017, Report content
  • Needed before a property *can be marketed*. It appears that it is not being marketed.

    Answered on Jan 10 2017, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Selling in Birmingham questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Selling