Skip to main content Skip to footer

Not asked to sign an Estate Agent contract - can I walk away?

I verbally agreed with a local agent that he should market my former home. We had a couple of meetings, he explained his commission rate, that the house would be put on RightMove and advertised locally with a For Sale board outside. As I am not in area anymore, I needed a local agent to show people round, and hopefully sell the house. In March 2011 there were three viewings following two newspaper photo ads. Since then there have been no adverts and no viewings and I'm looking to either instruct a different agent or advertise it myself on other websites. If the house sells through my own advertising, will I still have to pay the agent commission? If I walk away now, will I have to pay him for the two photos included in his local paper ads plus the cost of preparing the sales brochure, or will he adopt a 'no sale - no fee' attitude?

Asked on Jun 13 2011, Selling in Burton-on-Trent | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • I would give them written notice that you intend to cancel your agreemnt with immediate effect. Send it recorded delivery. Even you signed nothing .. you have proof you have cancelled it. You won't have to pay anything if you did not sign anything for out of pocket expenses unless he/she specifically wrote to you to say what they were or weren't doing

    Answered on Jun 13 2011, Report content
  • Agree with the answer above. If a contract between yourself and the agency has not been signed, and they haven't found you a respective tenant, then you will not have to pay them any fees. Would also advise writing to them, to inform them that you will no longer wish to use their services.

    Answered on Jun 14 2011, Report content
  • Be careful as it sounds like you may have entered into a verbal contract. You need to speak to your solicitor to be 100% sure.

    Answered on Jun 14 2011, Report content
  • You can walk away, you could offer to pay disbursements or take advice from a solicitor.

    Answered on Jul 5 2011, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Selling in Burton-on-Trent questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Selling