Skip to main content Skip to footer

Selling my house privately.

What paper work is needed? I am selling to a friend so I do not want to hire a solicitor.

Asked on Apr 10 2013, Selling in London | Report content

Answers (4)

Was this question useful? Yes 1 No 0

Sort by: Oldest | Recent | Highest rated

  • I think you will need a solicitor to deal with the legal process of transferring ownership of the property. This will involve registering the change of ownership with the Land Registry. There may also be stamp duty to be paid depending on the value of the property, if above £125,000. If you want to save money, use an online conveyancing solicitor with a no sale no fee policy.

    Answered on Apr 10 2013, Report content
  • You can visit for more advice about selling privately, however in answer to your question: I would strongly advise you appoint a conveyancing solicitor. Should you wish not to do this the following is what the solicitor requests the originals of, maybe not all of them all the time. • Any title deeds and sundry searches. • Any planning permissions, plans and accompanying documents. • Any building regulation approvals and completion certificates • FENSA Certificate • Gas Safety Inspection Certificate • Electrical Safety Inspection Certificate • Proof of boiler servicing/CORGI Certificate • Any guarantees, together with any contracts, quotations and plans (particularly for damp proofing works). • Any indemnity insurance policy that was put in place when you bought the property. • Details of your existing mortgage e.g. account number and approximately how much is outstanding, together with account details for any additional financial loans or charges registered on your property. In addition, if your property is leasehold and not freehold;- • Latest service charge receipt • Latest ground rent receipt • Lease • Share certificate • Management company’s details • Memorandum of Association & Articles of Association for the Management Company Hope this help, Adam.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Jun 27 2013, Report content
  • I would seriously consider using the services of a conveyancing solicitor. The admin involved is a real pain and you can now get "fixed-fee" / "no sale-no fee" services for around £450.

    Web reference:

    Answered on Aug 5 2013, Report content
  • I have to agree with Peter. These days the cost of conveyancing is so low it really isn't worth taking the risk of going it alone and getting something wrong. I have added a link below which might be helpful. It will take you to the only conveyancing comparison site that has live & genuine feedback for solicitors. All of the solicitors on the panel have signed up to a service agreement that requires them to update you at least once a week (meaning you'll always know how your transaction is progressing).

    Web reference:

    Answered on Feb 18 2014, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Selling in London questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Selling