Skip to main content Skip to footer

Can I cancel an estate agent agency agreement?

There is no cooling off period he says if I sell to a private buyer for £105,000 I will have to pay my estate agent £1900. My offer was dropped to £98,000 so now he says he will try and drop his fee to £1300 but that's between me and him. Can he do this?

Asked on Feb 8 2010, Selling in Rochdale | Report content

Answers (1)

Was this question useful? Yes 2 No 0
  • Firstly, the fee. If the agent elects to make a concession and you agree it then yes, he can. Do get it in writing as an amendment to the original contract however. Reply to say you accept the concession. As to his claim for a fee if a private buyer is introduced, it will all depend upon the terms of the contract itself. If it is a 'sole selling rights' contract then you may well have to pay in the event that someone that he has not introduced buys your property. If it is simply a sole agency agreement then he would not generally have the right to charge you if a buyer proceeds that is genuinely a private buyer and that he has not introduced. A private buyer however must be someone that you yourself have effectively introduced to the purchase rather than him having just seen a for sale board and knocked on your door without the agent knowing ;-)

    Answered on Feb 9 2010, Report content

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question

More Selling in Rochdale questions on AskMe

See more AskMe Q&A about Selling