Choosing an agent is very subjective. Some people get on better with one agent over another, and some prefer different selling methods to others.
It is likely that you will ask at least 3 agents to come and see and value your property and it is this first meeting where most instructions are won or lost for agents. Here are my tips on what to look for in an estate agent:
- Find someone you can trust and that you can have a good honest rapport with
- The agent’s office should be clean and orderly
- Make sure there is enough staff to do the job and perhaps pop in and meet a few more of them
- The staff should be friendly and helpful and have enthusiasm for the job
- An agency that of course will give your property the widest possible exposure and advertise it on all the property websites such as Zoopla and PrimeLocation
- Make sure the agent is a member of a professional body
- All agents are bound by the Estate Agents Act 1979, whether they belong to a trade organisation or not
- Someone who is confident, but not too cocky
- Someone who knows your local area well and has experience in selling your type of property
- Honesty when dealing with you and the buyers
- A flexible agency that remains open in the evenings and on the weekends to show buyers your home
Some information contained herein may have changed since it was first published. Zoopla strongly advises you to seek current legal and/or financial advice from a qualified professional.