Hilton Smythe are privileged to offer to the market, Mildenhall and Bullock Traditional Butchers.
There has been a butcher on this site for over 50 years and many people who either lived in the village or have relations still in the village regularly pop in due to both the quality and standard of the services offered.
Our clients took over the business just over 4 years ago from the previous owner and due to ill health are now having to place the much loved business up for sale.
The business offers fine cuts of gammon, rump steaks, pork, chicken, ground mince and homemade sausages. The sausages made here on site are award winning with a recent trophy being won.
They offer a selection of 8 different types with a changing selection of approximately 4 each week depending on the season. There is also demand for the larger supply of sausages for local catering events where 600 can be made for one single order.
Christmas is particularly busy when orders for the renowned Walters turkeys come through the door.
Homemade burgers are available including BBQ favourites such as chicken skewers.
Our clients can also offer the full butcher of customers own livestock, a skill rarely offered in more High St operations.
Outstanding Sausage Rolls! The demand for these could easily overtake the current levels of supply. Loyal customers including the heavy stream of builders, contractors and families cannot get enough of these homemade delights with over 400 sold each week! The unique recipe, taste and quality offers one of the many ways a new buyer could easily double the turnover currently achieved by the business.
There are also fresh pasties available including cheese and onion, cheese and tomato, sausage and bacon.
Note -all recipes for the above will be handed over to any new buyer.
Other products include local eggs, honey, cider vinegars, goose fat as well a new popular automated coffee machine which offers the ability to include advertising through its built in screen.
The turnover is evenly split over the week with 50% coming from hot baked lines and 50% from the more traditional uncooked meat side.
We identified with our clients that due to their situation, many add on sales opportunities are not being investigated and any new buyer could easily look to add any of the following to boost sales levels -
- Outside catering accounts (including supplying restaurants, bars and cafes).
- Fish counter - no competitor for this side in the area and a large chilled counter is available.
- More local produce - there is high demand for supporting local suppliers, from cheese, olives, sauces, oils, Deli lines, artisan breads and cakes. Including adding a choice of gluten free, vegan and lower calorie options.
- Website orders - an increasing number of similar sized butchers are utilising the mid-week period to push on line orders. This can sometimes add 40% more in weekly sales.
- Increasing the baked good side - already very popular but simply adding to the range with more pies, quiches and tarts would increase average spend.
- Hot Food to Takeaway - already a destination business for many contractors, increasing the hot food choice with bacon, sausage and egg breakfast sandwiches, soups or jacket potatoes, hot pork or beef sandwiches.
- Local deliveries - offering a local delivery van would help many of the older customers not always able to walk to the butchers
- Farmers markets / weekend festivals and events - supplying a Butcher to carry out hog roasts especially at weddings and larger parties is in high demand.
- Outside catering - for weddings, parties and christenings including a choice of Sandwich platters, pie platters and hot food would attract new orders.
- Rear yard area - unused by the other business units and could be developed into a customer’s sitting area to enjoy more lunchtime food items and drinks.
Our clients have agreed to offer a full business handover.
Very rarely do lifestyle changing business of this quality come to market and we recommend very early viewing to truly appreciate the opportunity that lies behind this well-established business.Location
Mildenhall and Bullock Traditional Butchers sits along a small row of community shops on Church St in Kintbury, near Hungerford in Berkshire.
The idyllic village is everything you would imagine, there is the Church of England parish church, primary school, post office, corner shop, 3 public houses including various sports facilities including tennis, bowls and football.
The village dates back to the 13th century and offers rural charm with desirable picture box property.
Kintbury railway station is served by local services from Reading and Newbury to Great Berwyn. The Kennet and Avon canal runs through the village.
The nearby M4 motorway can be reached in approximately 10 minutes making the village a desirable home for commuters to both Reading and London.
The business benefits from limited free parking directly outsidePremisesOutside
- customer parking available, full length canopy shades the front window and acts as a good feature to identify the type of business.Main Shop
- table top glass fronted pie warmer, glass topped frozen meat simply freezer, 3 M glass fronted chiller (currently used for sliced gammon but can be used for any alternative line), main butchers glass fronted chiller with raised display shelf, electronic scales with ticket printing facility, newly refitted vacuum packer, large sausage filler, 3 x stainless steel prep tables, knife grinder, over wrapper, large butchers block and stand, laptop with printer, meat mincer, hand wash sink, meat cutting equipment and hanging hooks, wall mounted air con unit.Rear Prep Area
- double stainless steel prep sink unit, hand wash sink, electronic scales, additional stainless steel prep tables, 2 x double ovens.Cellar Area
- storage racking to right side, meat slicer, 2 x chest freezers.Staff toilet –
toilet and hand wash sinkStorage Cupboard
- includes new fridge motor
Common ground area with private land to other business units, further storage and refuse area.
Note - our clients have recently purchased a new van which many be available to purchase separately,Tenure
We are advised there is a new 5 year Lease in place with just over 4 years remaining paying just £9,455 per year.
The business benefits from full small business relief on rates.Hours
Currently run to suit -
Monday to Friday - 8.30am-5.00pm
Saturday - 8am – 1.00pmStaff
Run and managed by our 2 clients onlyFinancial Profile
The Turnover of the 2018 accounts will show approximately £125,000 with an adjusted net profit of £20,000.