Retail premises for saleNo. 1 Castle Street, Carlisle, Cumbria 8Sy CA3
Local area information
- Progress Schools - Carlisle (SEN) 0.3 miles
- Trinity School 0.3 miles
- Carlisle 0.4 miles
- Dalston (Cumbria) 3.9 miles
These distances are calculated in a straight line. The actual route and distance may vary.
Read our area guide for Carlisle to find out more about the area.
Features and description
1 Castle Street, Carlisle, Cumbria CA3 8SY
• Attractive residential opportunity within the Historic Quarter of Carlisle City Centre
• Possible alternative use opportunities, subject to consents
• Total approximate net internal area 274.3 sq m (2,952 sq ft)
• Guide Price £250,000 exclusive, for the freehold interest
The property is located in the Historic Quarter of Carlisle within 150m of Carlisle Castle, opposite Tullie House Museum and close to Carlisle Cathedral, and also within walking distance to the retail heart of the city centre and mainline train station.
Carlisle lies close to the Scottish Border and adjacent to Junctions 42,43 and 44 of the M6 motorway network. It is also on the main west coast Glasgow to London Euston rail line and has good access east to Newcastle, including Newcastle airport, along the A69 trunk road.
The City of Carlisle has a residential population of around 75,000, a wider city population of around 108,000 and an estimated catchment population of 235,000. As well as being the dominant shopping location, it is also the administrative centre in Cumbria and the Borders.
The building is prominently on the corner of Castle Street and Finkle Street in a mixed commercial and increasingly residential location.
The Grade II listed building was built in the mid 1890’s and has a rough dressed sandstone exterior with a hipped graduated slate roof. 1 Castle Street has a unique curved frontage, which can clearly be seen from the busy Castle Way.
The front ground floor element of the property was historically used as a popular hairdressers, of which the distinctive shop frontage remains today. The access to the shop has now been boarded up internally, making the property in full residential use.
The building retains many original characteristics such as high ceilings, moulded plaster ceiling cornices, large sash windows and attractive window panes.
The accommodation currently provides a ground floor living room, dining area, kitchen point, toilet facilities and access to the rear car park. On the first floor there are three bedrooms and a W/C, plus two separate attics on the second floor.
Externally, there is a yard to the rear of the property with shared access to the neighbouring properties on Finkle Street, which could accommodate up to 3 car parking spaces.
The property provides the following approximate net internal areas:
Ground Floor 113.9 sq m (1,225.9 sq ft)
First Floor 102.6 sq m (1,104.8 sq ft)
Second Floor 57.7 sq m (621.3 sq ft)
Total approximate Net Internal Area: 274.3 sq m (2,952 sq ft)
The property has mains supplies of gas, electricity and water and is connected to the mains drainage and sewerage systems.
Energy performance certificate
A copy of the EPC for the building can be available upon request.
The property is available for sale at a Guide Price of £250,000 exclusive, for the freehold interest.
All figures quoted are exclusive of VAT where applicable.
Each party to bear their own legal costs in the preparation and settlement of the sale documentation together with any VAT thereon.
The property is available to view by prior appointment with the Carlisle Office of Edwin Thompson llp. Contact:
Ruth Richardson or Hugh Hodgson at our Carlisle Office
Edwin Thompson for themselves and for the Vendor of this property, whose Agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are set out as a general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute, nor constitute part of, any offer or contract.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, plans, reference to condition and necessary conditions for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their correctness.
3. No person in the employment of Edwin Thompson has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatsoever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Agents, nor into any contract on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for loss or expense incurred in viewing the property or in any other way in the event of the property being sold or withdrawn.
5. These particulars were prepared in July 2022.
There are some planning applications within 0.5 miles of this home
Assess how they might enhance or detract from this home’s value.
Property descriptions and related information displayed on this page are marketing materials provided by - Edwin Thompson. Zoopla does not warrant or accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the property descriptions or related information provided here and they do not constitute property particulars. Please contact Edwin Thompson for full details and further information.