Superb monastic complex dating back to the sixteenth century, sitting on a hill at 350 m above the sea level, 16 km from Florence’s historical centre.
History of the complex
According to the land registry, the property was built by a Florentine nobleman, and then passed to the Dominican Friars in 1609. These transformed it, according to the usual custom of the time, in a residence richer and of larger size. The project was followed by a famous Florentine architect and the construction began in 1610. In 1990 the property passed to the current owner, who, leaving unaltered the characteristics, restored the property, bringing important works of consolidation and restoration.
Description of the buildings
The property is surrounded on two sides by a large lawn, which is accessed by two side gates, and consists of two parts connected, but distinct.
The first building is more important, almost rectangular in plan, with three floors and a dovecote.
The second is represented by a rectangular cloister with two tiers of balconies.
- In the basement there is the ancient refectory, kitchen, hallway, two bathroom, two bedrooms, old basins in sandstone and some rooms to be restored, currently used as warehouses.
- On the raised ground floor there is the manor apartment, composed of: Large living room, kitchen with dining room and bathroom. Also on this floor are the ancient monks' cells, now converted into: Large study, living room, bedroom, closet and two bathrooms. From the porch you can also reach: The library, lounge, one bedroom, chapel, music room and a billiard room. From here you can also access the independent unit to be restored, composed of four rooms.
- On the first floor, finally, is the apartment for the staff, whose entrance is on the ground floor, consisting of five rooms with two bathrooms. Also on this level, there is the guest quarters, consisting of kitchen, living room, three bedrooms and bathroom. This plan is supplemented by some local loft and a covered terrace with a loggia.
State and finishes
The union between the secular element of the building, characterized by severe façade with double staircase, and the religious characterized cloister, make this property really unique.
Of considerable interest, as well as the unspoiled landscape and the building as a whole, are the courtyard and cloister, the old fireplace of the refectory, a chapel with a fine eighteenth-century decoration, and the structures of monastic service on the ground floor of the complex with the bread oven, the locks for the preparation of the lye, basins in sandstone still perfectly preserved.
The property is surrounded by 9.5 hectares of land with 2 hectares of arable land, 6 hectares of woodland and the remainder of arable land.