Located in panoramic position with a direct sight on the beautiful medieval town of San Gimignano and the surrounding Val d’Elsa, prestigious wine estate with pool and holiday house.
The complex is not far from the city centre of San Gimignano (4km; 12’) in the heart of Tuscany and allows to easily reach some of the most interesting cities of Tuscany such as Volterra (31km; 42’), Monteriggioni (34km; 40’), Siena (54km; 1h) and Florence (63km; 1h 15’).
The location is easily accessible via a well maintained unpaved road linked to the municipal viability and is best served by the airports of Firenze Peretola (71km; 1h), Pisa Galilei (74km; 1h 10’), Bologna Marconi (152km; 1h 50’), Perugia Sant’Egidio (163km; 2h), Roma Ciampino (292km; 3h 5’) and Roma Fiumicino (307km; 3h 10’).
Description of the buildings
The main building (315 sqm – 3,389 sqft), once part of an ancient monastic complex, is built on three and a half floors:
- Inferior floor: Vinification area (with access for agricultural vehicles) with insulated temperature-controlled tanks and grapes processing machinery.
- Middle floor: Barriques cellar (26 sqm – 280 sqft)
- Ground floor: Vinification cellar and storage room, direct sales area, technical room, warehouse, two closets (one with bathroom) and access to the elevator to the underlying storage room. There is also a lift leading down to the underground local in the nearby building. Under the street level (7 m deep), directly under the main building, there are some small locals (25 sqm – 269 sqft) once used by the monks for their activities.
- First floor: Here there is the high-quality master’s apartment (140 sqm – 1,506 sqft) made up of an ample kitchen (16 sqm – 172 sqft), living room with luxury finishes and fireplace, two bedrooms (one of which with centuries-old tuff walls) and two bathrooms, one of which en-suite and the other (16 sqm) with Jacuzzi and shower. The house is fitted with a wonderful balcony with breath-taking view.
The second building (143 sqm – 1,539 sqft), built ex-novo in 2000, is split between two floors.
On the upper floor (42 sqm – 452 sqft) there a business office (fitted with an archive), a guest bedrooms with shower and a bathroom. On the lower floor (101 sqm – 1,087 sqft) we can find an ample tasting room (it can host up to 24 people). Next to it there is a considerable depot for the storage of bottled wines, which could be further expanded by ca. 32 sqm (344 sqft).
The third building (18 sqm – 194 sqft) is a two-story building (one of which underground) used as a storage house.
The holiday house (59 sqm – 635 sqft) is ideal for hosting guests or holidaymakers from all around the world and is made up of a living room with TV and double sofa-bed, an ample kitchen, a bedroom and a bathroom. The building is fitted with a covered terrace (20 sqm – 215 sqft) with a direct sight on the towers of San Gimignano.
An agricultural shed (96 sqm – 1,033 sqft) is used for tractors, agricultural vehicles and as a depot for gasoil, tools and agricultural products. Next to the building there is a covered local where it is stored the wood for the fireplace.
Another local (14 sqm – 151 sqft) encloses a centuries-old well, which covers the needs of the property for most of the year. The well is equipped with pump and float.
State and finishes
The property consists of an historical complex, perfectly restored and in wonderful shape. Roofs are held by chestnut wooden beam and the floors are covered in hand-made terracotta tiles. Heating is granted by a central gasoil system and/or a wood thermo-fireplace linked to every building. In the masters’ apartment, the heating is granted by a system under the floors, while in the cellar and the offices there are radiators.
The estate is surrounded by 21 hectares (52) of land of which 8.8 ha (22 ac) covered in vineyards for the production of several varieties of prestigious wines for a total of ca 70,000 bottles per year. The rest of the land is split among olive grove (1.2 ha – 3 ac) and woodland (10 ha – 25 ac).
The property is further enriched by a flowered garden (9,000 sqm – 2 ac) with cypress trees and cedars and a wonderful infinity pool (11 x 6 m) with panoramic sight on the towers of San Gimignano and the surrounding countryside. The pool has a nice terracotta-tiled solarium with sun beds and sunshades.
Details on wine production
Since 1995, every five years, the owners have started planting new vineyards replacing the old ones. There are 3 hectares left to be renewed in the next 8-10 years. The cellar is equipped with insulated and air-conditioned vats for the production of better wines.
- Vineyard surface: 8.8 hectares
- Varieties: Sangiovese, Canaiolo, Vernaccia di San Gimignano, Viognier e Merlot
- Altitude: 290 to 350 m
- Density (stump/ha): 5,500 to 7,000
- Training: Pruned-spur cordon-trained vines, Guyot
- Harvesting: Starting from the last week of September
- Terrain composition: Sandy-clayish
- Yearly production: Ca 91,520 bottles
- Workers: Outside company + family
yearly production (details)
♦ Chianti Colli Senesi DOCG: 27,460 bottles
♦ Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG: 29,460 bottles
♦♦♦ Toscana igt: 34,600 bottles
♦ Chianti Colli Senesi DOCG: 90% Sangiovese, 10% Canaiolo
♦ Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG (aged): 100% Vernaccia di San Gimignano
♦ Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG: 100% Vernaccia di San Gimignano
♦ Rosso Toscano igt: 100% Merlot
♦ Rosso Toscano igt: 100% Syrah
♦ Rosso Toscano igt: 100% Sangiovese
♦ Bianco Toscano igt: 100% Viognier
♦ Rosé Toscano igt: 100% Sangiovese
Use and potential uses
The complex is intended for the production and the stocking of wines, thanks to the great cellar the property is fitted with. The quality of the structures and the business gave already been praised by the renown magazine “Wein Gourmet” as “one of the best wine estate of Tuscany”. Produced wines are of top-quality and the Rosso Toscano igt (100% Merlot) obtained an excellent rating of 94/100 by the critic Robert Parker.
The property is further enriched by a high-quality holiday-house allowing the owners to host both guests and holidaymakers from all around the world looking for a quiet period in the heart of Tuscany.